Getting out there and running with your kids is a wonderful way to stay active, stay happy and set a good example for the little ones. Why not try this weekend? Even if you don’t consider yourself to be an athlete or a runner here are a few ways to get started! So often we find ourselves sitting down to watch the kids play – today I challenge you to really break a sweat and run with them! Depending on the ages of your children, you can modify:
- Play a game of tag
- Say “I bet you can’t catch me!”
- Pretend to be sharks and minnows and “swim” away from each other
- Declare the yard a beehive and “buzz” around looking for pollen.
- Visit a nearby trail for some fresh air and enjoy a picnic and jog/walk.
- Run around with the dog. Don’t have a dog? Volunteer at a shelter or offer to walk a friend or neighbor’s dog!
- Have a race in the backyard. Don’t always let your kid win! Use your phone as a timer and challenge each other (remember to encourage and participate too!).
- Set an example! Say “I’m going for a run,” and let the kids see you trying something new! Even if they don’t participate, you know they are watching!!