Have you ever felt like your little kids take up SO much of your brain power that you literally can’t even stay on top of what’s current? I hear ya! I honestly feel like I was under a rock for a couple of years! Trends are ever-changing in this modern world of ours, and things that seemed natural to me in my 20s (like knowing what song is hot right now) actually take a bit of concerted effort. Add kids to the mix, and staying on trend is something that sometimes we just don’t have time for! And in the grand scheme of things, it’s not really that important. It’s not like life and death important. Or health important. Or even taxes important.
But sometimes…amidst the cheerios and the pouches and the dino rangers and the elmo and the onesies and the diapers and the bedtimes and the playtimes…Just sometimes…it’s kinda nice to feel on-trend.
Here are a few ways to do it:
1. Embrace minimalism. You don’t need to have an overflowing closet. Pick a few key pieces then work them like it’s nobody’s business.
2. Change accessories with the season. Grab a scarf with an in-the-moment pattern, rock a pair of trendy earrings, pick up a jacket that will feel trendy this season. You don’t need an entire new wardrobe every season! A few key pieces will bring you into the now.
3. Keep toys out of living space. Keep adult spaces adult. It’s hard to keep the toys at bay but having a truly adult area will make sure that you have your own space. I keep my bedroom completely toy free, and try to keep toys contained in the living room.
4. Subscribe to at least one magazine, blog or newsletter that is just about current fashions, whether it’s for the home or your personal style, or even something else totally un-kid-related. Kids can be all encompassing – it’s good for your mama-self to devote some time to reading something completely unrelated to little ones.
5. Find some comfortable shoes that still look good. You know heels aren’t all that practical when you’re running after little ones. I love my all mint Adidas sneaks, Toms, and Sperrys!
6. Listen to a radio station that plays current music! Don’t fall into the trap of listening to all kids music, or all music from your favorite high school mix tapes.
7. Add an unexpected accessory: A hat. A statement necklace. A killer jacket. All you need is one piece.
8. Learn how to tie a scarf. Here’s a tutorial. You’ll look instantly put together, I promise.
9. Follow the news. I like the Buzzfeed News app for staying on top of what’s going on in the world.
10. Go straight to the source. Stay ahead of the trends, and instead of relying on what you see in the shops, follow the annual Pantone color of the year and know what colors are going to be hot every year!